Sunday, March 27, 2011

plantin' taters

I love to garden.  Gardening for me is very nostalgic and gives me a great sense of accomplishment.  My house may be a mess, and my kids may outsmart me, but at least I have a garden with vegetables (hopefully) growing in it!
With rain in the forcast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday; I made sure to plant my taters on Thursday.  Jim had meetings and errands to run related to work and took Hank with him (amazing help), and luckily I had Jared to do the hard tilling for me (also amazing).
 First, I raked out and picked up a large quantity of rocks. 
Wyatt enjoyed sitting on the rocks in the wagon and throwing them back out. (Not so helpful.)
Next, I dug the furrows with a hoe because I don't have a big-wheel-furrower-thing (wishlist) like Dad did when I was little. 
 
The first year I planted a garden, I dug my furrows with a stick thinking "I'm so resourceful for using this stick when I don't have the right tool" *pride* only to be humbled later when I realized foolish me could have used a hoe (duh) to dig them.
 
Finally, I planted the taters. 
Porter wasn't too excited about picking up the rocks, but he loved putting the cut potatoes in the furrow...for about the first row.  Then he was done, and moved on to being my photographer.  He did a pretty good job, and he provided a commentary as he took them.

"Mom, I got Wyatt's picture!"
"Mommy, I got Jared's picture!"
"Mom, I got your picture!  You look so beautiful!"
(*aww* Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder on this one)
"Mom, *laughing* I got your butt!" (this one's for you, Amanda)
And of course his self-portraits.
Two of our bottle-fed baby goats followed us around as we gardened and provided entertainment.
 
 We were all pretty pooped at the end of the day, and my arms ached all night.  I'm sooo out of shape.
 

No comments: